Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Welcome

Welcome to my blog, Heideggerian Denken.

About 4 years ago I took my first class on Heidegger, taught by Mark Wrathall at Brigham Young University. Though I will admit to being completely lost during that entire semester (my term paper was a complete flop, though Mark was merciful in his grading), I was determined to understand what on earth Heidegger was trying to say, what he was trying to accomplish. Thus I spent the following summer re-reading various parts of Being and Time, History of the Concept of Time, and Hubert Dreyfus' introductory work, Being-in-the-World: A Commentary on Heidegger's Being and Time, Division I.

Finally, about 4 months after the end of the class, I began to understand what he was saying. Terms like ‘world,’ ‘equipmentality,’ ‘mood,’ and ‘aletheia’ began to make sense. When Heidegger spoke of the ‘being of beings’ (Sein des Seiendes), I could see something important and intelligible. Since that first glimmer of something meaningful, important, and revolutionary in Heidegger’s work, I’ve been hooked. Over the last 4 years my Heidegger library has expanded, including various works by Heidegger, commentaries (on his early and later thought), and journal articles.

With the above, I am still in my relative infancy in studying Heidegger’s thought. I do not put myself forward as an authority of Heidegger, but an admirer and student who is doing his best to understand his odd and sometimes enigmatic turns of phrase and terminology, spurred on by the success I have already had in understanding him and with the realization that there is much more that I haven’t even begun to understand. What you will find here are my own musings on Heidegger’s thought (including his philosophical progeny), often based on my current research in psychology, anthropology, hermeneutics, or whatever else strikes my fancy at the time.

I hope you enjoy this blog and my thoughts. If you ever have any questions about Heidegger, how to interpret a particular statement that Heidegger made, or how a Heideggerian might approach a certain issue feel free to email me and I will do my best to answer your queries (or at least direct you to where you might be able to find an answer). With that, enjoy!

6 Comments:

Blogger Clark Goble said...

Could I make the suggestion of dark type on a light background? Inverse text is pretty hard on the eyes.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Kevin Winters said...

I'll see what I can do. I'm still new to the HTML tags and, with all the changes I've already made, I don't want to simply switch to a new template (and lose what I changed). Give me a day or two and I'll see what I can work out.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Kevin Winters said...

How 'bout this? I haven't gotten to everything (like the COMMENTS and "LINKS TO THIS"), but is it better? Any suggestions as I play around with it more?

6:41 PM  
Blogger Clark Goble said...

That looks much, much better.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Moviegoer said...

Cool man. I'm in much the same camp. It's an awesome experience when one moves from wondering whether this guy is hoodwinking ya to seeing that his language always already embodies an uncommon precision without which his point could not be made.

I'll look forward to your posts - maybe you can answer some of my questions! :)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Kevin Winters said...

moviegoer, feel free to email me any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home